The Maresca & Sons' reputation for service to the public began in 1888 when Alfonso Maresca established the firm on Grand Avenue near Bradley Street and became the first funeral director of Italian descent in Greater New Haven. His fine tradition of dedicated and unexcelled service was carried on by his two sons, Mariano (Rene) J. Maresca and William H. Maresca. Joseph F. Rapuano, grandson of the founder carefully nurtured this fine reputation, joining the family firm after graduating Yale University.
In 1920, in order to provide the finest in facilities, the firm purchased the Governor James English Home at 592 Chapel Street. This home, originally built in 1845 for the Connecticut governor, has been designated as a New Haven Landmark in this city's first Historic District of Wooster Square.
Later, extensive remodeling and renovation was completed in the Governor's Mansion and a large wing with the new entrance was added during the firm's expansion program. Recent improvements provide handicap accessible egress including newly constructed restrooms. This handsomely updated , redesigned and elegantly furnished facility is a tribute to the philosophy of unexcelled service and unsurpassed comforts offered to all families at Maresca & Sons.